Built in 1959 by the renowned builder, Joseph Eichler, this home stands as a remarkable embodiment of his mid-century modern design. Set on a generous lot of approximately 0.4 acres, the property is also a pristine example of what Eichler called “boldness, change, and optimism through indoor/outdoor living.” The one-level floor plan begins with a fully enclosed atrium, a distinctive Eichler feature, which functions as an outdoor living space and bathes the interior in natural light through sliding glass doors on three sides. Continuing signature design principles include Philippine mahogany walls, vaulted beamed and paneled ceilings, and entire walls of floor-to-ceiling glass.
The layout includes a formal living room with fireplace, a formal dining room, and a separate bedroom wing, all surrounding the atrium. The kitchen serves as the central hub of the home, while a family room extends to one side. There are 3 spacious bedrooms and 2 baths, with a large primary suite offering remarkable wardrobe space and a private office with custom built ins. Additional library storage is conveniently found in the hallway, a sought-after feature for an on-campus home, as well as wine storage.
The primary suite opens to the rear grounds, as do multiple access points along the wall of glass spanning the rear of the home. The backyard is a serene retreat, adorned with Japanese maples and pepper trees casting filtered shade over the terraces. A sunlit pool offers complete privacy at the rear, and meandering paths seamlessly connect the outdoor spaces. For added recreation and fitness, this home is just down the street from the Stanford Campus Recreation Association, which includes a clubhouse, 25-meter pool, and 7 tennis courts. Additionally, it is approximately a half-mile from the renowned "Dish" trails. Please note that homes on the Stanford campus are exclusively available to approved Stanford faculty and staff only.
- Striking Joseph Eichler home built in 1959
- Front door, flanked by opaque glass panels, opens to a garden atrium beneath a slatted roof; sliding glass doors on three sides open to the living room, formal dining room, and the bedroom wing
- 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on one level
- Approximately 2,199 square feet of living space (per county records)
- Lot size of approximately 0.4 acres (17,557 square feet) with pool
- Every room has a beamed and paneled ceiling, one or more walls in Philippine mahogany, and carpeted or tiled floor
- Formal living room with brick fireplace set between narrow panes of opaque glass beneath transom windows
- Formal dining room spans from the front atrium to the rear gardens with sliding glass doors at each end in a wall of glass
- At the heart of the design, the kitchen features oak cabinetry topped in granite tiles with full-height backsplashes and a built-in desk center; ceramic tile finishes the floor
- Appliances include an electric cooktop with griddle, plus 2 KitchenAid ovens, dishwasher, and refrigerator
- Family room features a side door entrance plus wall of glass with integrated sliding doors to the rear grounds
- Primary bedroom suite begins with a sky-lit foyer and continuous wall of side-by-side custom closets plus a walk-in closet; a French door opens to the rear grounds; a separate office features a wall of custom cabinetry with ample library storage; the en suite updated bath has a dual-sink granite tile vanity, frameless-glass shower, private commode room, and fully tiled walls
- Two additional bedrooms, one with original Eichler signature white globe pendant light
- Hallway bath features a convenient outside door for use from the pool, granite tile floor, fully tiled walls, pedestal sink, and tub with overhead shower
- Oversized, very private rear yard features Japanese maples and pepper trees filtering light above the brick terrace and gardens; a sparkling pool is positioned at the rear of the property bordered by tall foliage for added privacy; raised beds are perfect for vegetables or pollinator gardens; a dining terrace features built-in bench seating
- Other features: custom library and wine storage in the hallway; concealed stacked GE washer/dryer in the hallway; central air conditioning; security alarm; 2-car carport; numerous outdoor storage closets
- Acclaimed Palo Alto schools: Escondido Elementary; Greene Middle; Palo Alto High (buyer to confirm)
- Homes on the Stanford campus are exclusively available to approved Stanford faculty and staff only
Living Area: 2,199 sq. ft (per County records, unverified)
Lot Size: 17,557 sq. ft. (per County records, unverified)